Sunday, October 7, 2007

I finished the DAM 5K!


It has been 6 plus months since I have ran a 5K. On Saturday morning I joined my good friend Holly, in the Mud Mountain Dam 5K run! I left my kids with Zeke who coached the boys soccer game in the rain while watching Lydia and carrying a baby. (What a guy! Probably took the same amount of energy as the 5K).
Mud Mountain Dam is a beautiful park east of Enumclaw, WA up towards the pass.


I had asked Holly a few days prior to the run what the route would entail. She hadn't ran it before, but believed it consisted of pavement, and some gravel roads, all of which would be fairly flat. I told her that sounded great, since I am use to running on pavement. There were no route maps given prior to the race. Once the horn was sounded we were off on flat pavement. Soon we turned onto a gravel road, only to be on that road a few yards where we turned onto a hiking trail. The hiking trail was bumpy, and hilly, but it was really fun running among the thick trees and brush, it was also a lot harder for people to pass you on the narrow way. A few times there were big stumps to run around, and occasional tree lay in the path. What a work out this was. Not knowing where you were and how far you had gone was a challenge. When I came out of the brush to see my time I was a little disappointed that it wasn't faster. Then I heard a much more professional runner than myself say: "This is not a race to make a personal record, it's a race to see if you can finish". A few minutes later I watched a lady who was at least 70 years old cross the finish line. Wow, what a lady!



Holly and I both placed in our division! I earned 1st and Holly got 5th.

We are so proud of our medals!


Holly's brother Micheal, also joined us for the race. For those of you that know him, look at how big "Mikey" is now. I chuckled a little when Holly was asked if he was her son. (He was born while we were in High School)

8 comments:

Findlay Family said...

That looked like a lot of fun. You're my hero! I can't believe Mikey is that old. He was a newborn baby when I got married. Yikes!

susie said...

Awesome!!! Sounds like a fun & challenging 5K! I used to love Mud Mountain Dam park. Give Holly a hug for me! I bet she was thrilled w/ the "Is Mikey your son?" question...it's not like she looks like she is his mom! Gosh...some people!

Camille said...

Way to go Stephanie! It sounds crazy, but not as crazy as running a 5K 9 months pregnant! :)

Kristie said...

Sound like you did good in the Dam race. Didn't know you were a dam runner. It must be a nice dam park. Okay I'll quit now. Congradulations anyway!

Jackie said...

Good job placing in the race. I never thought I would say this but it sounds like it was fun-maybe I'll try one some day.

Michelle said...

Great job on your 5k. It sounds very challenging and technical. Way to go!!

Tammy said...

You rock! Congratulations. What a beautiful area to run.

Matt and Carla said...

Stephanie, I don't know how you do it...you are a very committed and determined WOMAN, that's great! You are one of those who could have treked the pioneer day w/ no problem! And about that 70 yr. old woman who crossed the finish line, if that was me- that would have been the kicker into my grave.
Great job, you should be proud of yourself!