Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The Beard

Note: Don't forget to look at the poll and vote for your favorite and least favorite facial hair styles on the right side of the page.

Ever since I started growing facial hair I wanted to grow a beard. I remember going a full week without shaving during my engagement to Stephanie, but she was away during that week and upon returning insisted that I shave it off. I tested her will a few more times after that, but to no avail.

This year our stake decided to do the Savior of the World production which we decided to participate in. At our first full practice the director gave us some assignments in order to prepare ourselves for the play. One assignment for the men was to start growing a beard. Score!!! I knew Stephanie wasn't going to like it very much, but I also knew this was my chance.

I wasn't allowed to start growing my beard immediately. I had to wait until Oct. 15. I thoroughly enjoyed the first week. The second week was itchy and bothersome, but still fun. By the third week the itch went away and I was still enjoying the moment. It took about four weeks for my beard to be full and grizzly. By the fifth week I was tired of it and decided a beard wasn't for me. It's not that it didn't grow in very well, I just didn't like the feel or the look of it. Stephanie never did like it, so I guess its good that I don't like it either.

In the end, I'm really glad I had the chance to grow it out because I've always wanted to experience a full beard. Now that its over I'll probably never grow it again or any other style of facial hair for that matter. Speaking of stylish facial hair (Stephanie would say that's an oxymoron) I decided I needed to capture a picture of as many different styles I could do before shaving it all off. That way I won't ever need to have facial hair again. The pictures below were taken on Dec. 1st (almost 7 weeks, or more precisely 47 days).

Full Beard


Lamb Chops and Gotee


Lamb Chops and Western Mustache


Western Mustache


70's Mustache


Clean Shaven

Obviously I like the clean shaven look best, but if I had to choose one with facial hair it would be the western mustach with lamb chops. I think that was also the favorite of our Priests Quorum. The plain mustache is definately my least favorite. How was that ever in style?!?

See the poll on the right side of our page to vote for your favorite and least favorite!

16 comments:

Findlay Family said...

That is hilarious! I laughed so hard when I saw western mustache with lamb chops- CLASSIC! Seeing you with no facial hair reminds me how young you look- talk about babyface!

Thanks for the laugh...
Melissa

Jackie said...

Love the pictures! I needed a good laugh. Facial hair does make you look a lot older. I bet Stephanie is sooo happy to have the beard gone!

Tara said...

Yeah, that clean shave took years off your appearance! You could pass for one of your young men now.

You got some great pictures(could really come in handy if we were the pranksters that you guys are.)

Holly said...

If it wasn't for your smile on the pictures with the western mustache and lamb chops, I'd say you could pass as a criminal. (Maybe I've seen to many movies.) I have to say though that I liked the beard a week or two in (not one of your selections). Fun pictures!

Joshua said...

it's called a Fu Manchu... not western style...i was dissappointed not to see a chin strap, Rollie Fingers, a soul patch (flavor savor) and of course der Fuhrer. so many wonderful options.


I still vote clean shaven.

Joan said...

Personally, I think you pulled off the full beard really well. Seeing the other's was a hoot!

kj said...

That's such a fun way to shave it off. I'm so glad you took pictures as you went! I couldn't even decide which one I liked the best. It's amazing how much facial hair can change your appearance!

Vicky said...

What about a soul patch?

Tammy said...

Wow Zeke! This really brought me back to my Montana roots. Believe it or not, there really are people who wear the western/chops look--In fact there were quite a few people in my ward growing up who looked just like you in the picture! Scary!

Michelle said...

Hee hee I liked your different pics. If you are ever running from the law at least you know a beard will change your looks.

Miss Jackie said...

I never thought I'd see Zeke sporting that!!! LOVED IT!! So funny! Hope you saved some for you scrapbook! he he!
(Malan family)

Anonymous said...

Now THAT was funny! Somewhere we have a set of those with Steve shaving off his beard. His office wouldn't have put up with it this time... but I like Steve in a beard!

My vote is for the goatee with NO lamp chops-- :-p

Camille said...

Hilarious!

Jeremy, Melissa, Payson, Olivia, and Hudson said...

DUDE!!!

cjanddiane said...

Zeke, 4 styles you missed, so you need to grow it out again to make sure you get the complete look.

1. Soul Patch
2. Handlebar and Chin Puff
3. Chin Curtain
4. burnsides (connect sideburns by way of mustach but below ears and chin clean)

So start all over agian. Sorry Stephanie. He has to can't leave a job unfinished.

Calamity Jane said...

lamb chops and western mustache is really my favorite. I keep thinking of Bo and Luke Duke on the Dukes of Hazzard, Zeke you could quit your day job...