Sunday, November 21, 2010

Lower Lake Lena

In August Landon and Mason went on their first real camping trip. As 11 year old scouts they were invited to join the older scout troop on a backpacking trip to Lower Lake Lena (pdf), just inside the Olympic National Park.

Trailhead


The entire trail looked pretty much like this. Roughly 3.5 miles each way, but the first half is all uphill and feels more like 7 by itself.


We crossed a couple bridges, this one very tame. I wish I had a picture of the bridge/log we crossed while looking for a campsite. Bro. Curtis and I are still just grateful we all made it.


Finally made it to the top. Beautiful hike and picturesque lake!


The most notable part of the trip was that the few campgrounds were all taken. We hiked well into the evening hours looking for a place to setup tents and build a fire to cook our meals. We ended up settling for a rocky, stumpy and mossy hillside that was just clear enough to lay a few sleeping bags down. I'll leave it at that so Landon and Mason can add in all the folklore they feel necessary while telling you the story themselves.

3 comments:

Mason said...

I want to tell my night during the trip. Our troop layed out our beds . A log split out campsite . Landon,Dad , and I took the right half. Then we ate our food. Some kids brought noodles . We brought this campfood that you only needed water for it. Dad led half of the troop to the stream to filter some water out of the stream. Then, we boiled water. We got our food out and after cooking dinner ,we ate. Soon we had a spritual campfire. Last ,we went to bed. This is where the fun began. We slept on a very steep hill. At 1:00 am, Dad woke me up. He told me i slid down the hill. I said I was fine and started to sleep . Well I was uncomfortable so I soon dragged sleepy me and my sleeping bag up the hill. That is how my night went.

Islander said...

Hooray you entered something new on your blog. Nice job - fun photos.

kj said...

Sounds like a long night, Mason. After a long hike too! I always admire the leaders who go on these camp outs with the boys. You're a good person, Zeke!